This blog post is based on a presentation by Rand Fishkin, at the Linklove London seminar 2013, “ How to Transform Your CEO into a Link Building, Social Sharing Machine”.
Why your CEO can be an SEO
Ultimately, CEO’s (MD's, Business Owners, Head Honchos or whatever they call themselves!) are the living embodiment of the business, living and breathing the core values. No one knows the business as well as they do. As the head of the business, they have extra kudos which can be leveraged to drive more traffic to your website.
How to get your CEO to be an SEO
- CEO’s tend to network a lot, building up a great deal of contacts whether on email or linkedin - this is a great way of getting links and getting your brand out there. Use this data and segment it. Use these contacts when pushing out content.
- Email new content to contacts
- Ask the CEO to push new content out on linkedin, both on their profile and to appropriate group boards,
- CEO’s are great at accumulating favours, so get them to ask their contacts for links back to your site
- Ask your CEO to get involved in online discussion boards, and be proactive on blogs
- Make sure your CEO is active on social media channels, connecting with influencers on twitter and G+ and pushing your content out.
- Get your CEO out talking at conferences. Whether its’ as part of a panel discussion or giving a topical talk, this is a great way of getting your brand out there, and it tends to generate more social media traffic.
Can’t Convince Your CEO to do these things?
We all know it can be difficult to convince the CEO to take on-board extra challenges when they are already pushed for time in their day to day running of the business. So what is the other option?
Empower someone else within the business to be the company evangelist. They can do all the tasks above, with some input from the CEO, although they lack the power and reach the CEO role has in terms of authority (that’s life!)
See Rand’s original slideshare presentation here